Sunday 14 April 2013

j'ai le cafard

When the French are depressed, they don't say, "I have the blues." They say, "J'ai le cafard," which means "I have the cockroach." Strange, but true. Don't ask me to explain the origin of the term, because it's way too complicated.

As it happens, I do have the blues. I recently lost a sweet black cat to cancer.

Blue face and hands from a painting by Sarah Joncas. Abandoned sofas and chairs from Bill Keaggy's book, 50 Sad Chairs. Ocean (next to face) by Edward Gorey.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your beautiful cat. Your collage captured the sadness you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Another try to find the right words! Sorry!)
    I´m sorry that you have lost your cat. Your collage is really BLUE - the knocked over and damaged/ scrached couches seem to be a neat expression for it.
    (Still not that what I would say in german!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. True "Mood Indigo"! Fantastic collage Fi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very expressive, Fi, and the backstory is most interesting. Condolences on kitty, I fear my 20 year old dyspeptic black cat is also not long for this world, so I share the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss, we've lost one last month ourselves, it is never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, y'all, for the words of sympathy. Sorry to hear about your cat, Vivienne. But these relationships we have are more than worth the pain of loss, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete