Saturday 11 November 2017

artistamps: horses


I figure: why not use this theme as an excuse to make some new artistamps for use in mail art? =smile=

These stamps of horses are unperforated. They are approximately 2 inches (5 cm) square. They are mounted on a background of "1950s abstract" from a Pepin wrapping paper book. I will cut them out individually and stick them onto envelopes & postcards.

Is it just me, or does the group of horses on the "30" stamp look like a great image for the Rolling Stones theme--the song being, of course, "Wild Horses"?

6 comments:

  1. Oh one of my favorite songs ...
    Love the horse on nr 50 ... such strange colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The horse on the 50 is an Apaloosa, Jo. Some Apaloosas have spots only on their rumps; others have them all over, like that one. As for the Stones' "Wild Horse," man, I LOVE that song!

      Delete
  2. YES! Good work, Fi! Have you ever heard of a WONDERFUL book (I own a copy and will locate it later so I can give you the full title) that was published about either one or two artists who designed postage stamps and proceeded to actually use them on United States mail. They show the envelope with the phony stamp that has cancellation marks on it. Oh wait, maybe I can GOOGLE it ... yes ... here it is!

    The Stamp Art & Postal History of Michael Thompson & Michael Hernandez de Luna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting Angie, they look like the 'banksy'boys of the post-stamps!
      There seems to be one (just 1) day in the year that you are allowed to send letters around with your own made stamps for free (without landing in jail;))

      Delete
    2. Oh Jo, you're just being silly. =grin= I put artistamps on almost all of my outgoing mail art, and the clerks are happy to cancel them right along with the real postal stamps.

      Delete
  3. Nice reminder on my horse postcard collection I had when I was a little girl - fantastic idea, Fi!

    ReplyDelete