Tuesday 22 August 2023

AI -- Magritte knew

I know what AI is, but this theme was really stumping me UNTIL I looked at some of the AI devices folks have in their home, and when I got a gander of The Amazon Echo Dot I thought, WAIT A MINUTE...Magritte in all his surrealistic mindfulness knew!!!

The mysterious spheres that appear in many of Magritte's paintings look suspiciously like the Echo Dot. Art historians call the orbs "grelots," bells that were tied around the necks of horses during Magritte's time. One striking painting by Magritte entitled "The Voice of Space" ("La Voix des airs") 1931 features multiple grelots floating in the sky.

The pieces I took from two Magritte works are "The Knowledge" 1961 featuring the music covered figure and doorway and a grelot from a painting entitled "Memory" 1948.

I set Magritte's pieces against the spectacular "Snow-Capped Himalaya" by Russian painter Wassili Werestschagin  (1842-1904).

Swiped from the internet:

In other poems and scriptures, the Himalaya has been symbolized as the sacred place of self-realization. It is a fact that sages, yogis, philosophers and spiritual seekers have searched for peace, solitude and serenity among the giant rocks of the mountains.

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant Angie. I like the story and the connections with the Magritte & Werestschagin works & self-realization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ron and Michael. I took Magritte to a "higher" level LOL!! His work fascinates me and the "grelots" or horse bells are so mysterious. You all should look at his painting "The Voice of Space" 1931 in which 3 grelots are floating in the sky. It really does portend the future of voices emerging from orbs.

    ReplyDelete