Thursday 17 April 2014

the flexible fox


Another from my archives. Last spring a red fox (Vulpes vulpes) sauntered slowly across my suburban front lawn, as bold as brass. I've been a fan of foxes since I was a little girl, so I decided to do some serious research on the subject. As it turns out, the red fox is the most widely distributed carnivore on the planet. They've adapted very well to living near humans, and in fact, it's said that there are more red foxes living today than ever before.

I made this collage to show off their flexibility of habitat: the map strips, going from left to right, are a river/marsh area, agricultural land, a city, hills & prairie, and forest.

6 comments:

  1. Nice Fi! A couple of years ago my husband and I visited the Cotswolds, staying at a charming inn. Early one morning we were awakened by unearthly sounds--I can compare it to bloodcurdling screams of a non-human origin. I was told by the proprietor it was a fox! This YouTube has a whole variety of creepy fox noises:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NuhlibHsM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, I've heard fox vocalizations: they're very odd!

      Delete
  2. Never saw a fox in real life, although they are living here, but I think its a beautiful animal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fox fits well to the theme Fi. I saw once a fox - run over on the road - I stoped and tried to help, but is was to late!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE foxes...and I'm feeling relieved that we have left the arachnids behind and turned to vulpes vulpes in our tour of "red!" Fi, I feel you owe us one more "red"...got another??

    ReplyDelete