Sunday 15 July 2018

altered children's book about fish: rays pp. 1-2


A number of years ago I collaborated with several other mail artists in decorating a children's book about fish. I was hoping to be assigned the pages on sharks--oh well. But I didn't do so bad: I got the pages on rays and remoras. The only rule about this project is that we weren't allowed to cover up any of the original text and images of the book. This spread is the first two of my pages--it uses collaged text (made w/ an antique typewriter) of a true autobiographical story, collaged fragments torn from a U.S. Army publication (1945) about creatures of the Pacific Ocean, a finepoint marker, and rubber stamps.

4 comments:

  1. Great stuff Fi - the 'voices' of the three texts are like two transmissions on a short wave radio, crashing the main transmission's freqency, mysteriously, like they do at night-time, anonymous and made stranger because of the late hour.
    I love your autobiographical story too - and even at that tender age, you realising that it was a 'lectrical shock that you'd just received!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve! I'm 63 now, so I've been into fish for a very long time. =smile=

      Delete
    2. So this week's piscine theme suits you to a T, as can be seen from all of your collages this week, excellent!

      Delete
  2. Excellent work, Fi. I liked reading Steve's interpretation of this piece.

    ReplyDelete