Sunday 9 October 2022

IN CELEBRATION OF LOST LOVED ONES: My Ma


 My mother Olga.

Olga loved any image that contained moonlight.

Olga also adored Laurel & Hardy. Born in 1930, she and her mother would go to the local cinema and enjoy their comedy.

A self-taught artist, Olga was a very good copy artist and especially loved the cartoons of Walt Disney. She could have worked for Walt as an illustrator.

Olga was a deeply religious woman who loved to bake cakes.

What a voice Olga possessed. She could have been a "Big Band Singer". I grew up listening to her singing along with the radio. "See the pyramids along the nile...", "That old black magic...", all the great hits of the 1940s-50s.

Yes, that is Bela Lugosi. Olga was a NUMBER ONE Fan of the Golden Age of Horror Films. Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, The Mummy.

Rest in Peace Ma.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful homage to your Mom. She certainly loved all the right things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I was a lucky gal to have such an interesting, colorful mother. I forgot to mention that she loved to yodel and once won a contest! She was one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Angie.....a woman who lived a life well lived...x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly did Hazel. In later life she volunteered to paint the faces of children during Bible Week at her church and continued embellishing envelopes when she would mail me a letter or card (my mom was into mail art long before it was an art form). I thank my lucky stars for such a creative force. (PS she also taught me to read my brother's first grade books before I started school, I must have been 4, and therefore got to skip Kindergarten!)

      Delete
  4. Lovely work Angie, a fine tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful tribute to your Ma.

    ReplyDelete