Monday 18 February 2013

the 8th plague


The 8th plague = locusts = grasshoppers. The common name for that African species is foaming grasshopper, 'cause not only is it toxic to eat (check out bright red markings to warn predators), but it secretes a noxious foam.

The two figures are from a painting by Hans Holbein. The naked guy is supposed to be Man. I don't know who the other guy is. I made it through junior high Latin, so I'll hazard a wild guess that the inscription on the rock says, "I am miserable Man something something my body is mortal." No shit!

7 comments:

  1. Nice one Fi! The locust makes my skin crawl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the contrast between the Big Bug and our poor mortals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This grashopper is enormous huge - I can immediately imagine the mortal fright of the twosome - great collage for a tremendous plague!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Powerful image Fi. Reminding me of a few movies...particularly The Good Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great comments, y'all!

    ReplyDelete