Sunday 3 September 2023

A mashup of DAYS -- DAYS of CAREFREE CHILDHOOD/DOG DAYS of SUMMER

Sirius is nicknamed the "Dog Star" because it is a part of the constellation "Canis Major" which is Latin for "the greater dog." The expression "dog days" refers to the period from July through August, traditionally the very hottest days of the year. The Romans referred to this period as "dies caniculares" or "days of the dog star," which was eventually translated as just "dog days."

My collage was initially the children cut from a primer with their dogs juxtaposed on a painting of a summer day. It then evolved into this!

Although the bright star pictured is not Sirius (I have a lot of books, but sometimes you just can't find the correct image) the star the child is pointing to is standing in for the "Dog Star".

2 comments:

  1. Terrific work Angie. I didn't know the origin of "Dog Days". Liking the proud dog standing on their cloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either. I am glad we had this theme. As always, I learn something new when I create a Kollage Kit piece. And thanks, the dog on the cloud is my favorite as well!

      Delete