Saturday 13 July 2024

SUPERSTITION of South America: Do not have your feet swept over by a broom


If your feet are swept over by a broom you will remain single for the rest of your life. However, the curse CAN BE broken if you immediately spit on the broom! Most likely based on the adage: A woman who cannot keep house, does not a good wife make.

I had a hard time finding the right image of a woman to hold the brooms that I found in a DOVER book of "Victorian Goods and Merchandise". But I looked at my anatomy books and found the perfect pose, but she was wearing no clothes. Luckily I have a lot of old J. Peterman clothing catalogs (which are lovely and each item of clothing is a watercolor rendering) and I found a skirt to fit her PERFECTLY and fashioned a bra top out of an illustration of a scarf.

The tie-dye paper just happened to be sitting on my worktable and voila!

4 comments:

  1. Spectacular Sweeping Artwork Angie...Tidy Tie-Dye too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ron! It was certainly fun to figure out how to illustrate this superstition which I had never heard of before until I searched for an obscure one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, not heard of that one. Excellent image concoction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful collage! It is so cheerful I almost want to start sweeping myself. (But I spit on household chores..)

    ReplyDelete