Tuesday 18 September 2018

In Di'sguise

I read an article in Time Out last week, all about Princess Diana being invited out to the Royal Vauxhall Tavern by her close friends Freddie Mercury, Kenny Everett, and Cleo Rocos... she disguised herself, with the help of her pals, as a male model, in camouflage jacket, black cap, and Aviator sunglasses... and got away with it!
No one recognised her the whole night, and she loved her anonymity, apparently, as all the clubbers were paying attention to her companions instead.
I found the story quite heartwarming, because, of course, her story is pretty tragic mostly, and so it was nice to read about her having a fun night out incognito.
This collage has taken me all over London, well, down the road to the 'Royals' section of our local charity bookshop, and then to the Army Careers office in Victoria (for pics of camouflage jackets to cut up), yesterday, where I don't think they really understood why I had visited them: the two main questions I remember being asked were:
"What exactly do you intend to do with this, sir?" and "Have you ever considered joining up?"!
Still, at least they gave me a copy of Soldier magazine (cover price £3.50) before sending me off with a bit of a flea in my ear, and I did get a great image of a women's camouflage jacket, right size and everything, which I could paste on top of the pic of Di with the umbrella, so it was worth it.
The collage has still come out a little bit more tragic than I'd intended, but that's all part of the process really isn't it, things taking an unexpected turn or two along the way...

5 comments:

  1. Excellent collage and great story to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fond memories of Lawrence Corner ( near Euston ) which used to have great Ex- army clobber, gas masks, shrouds, and all manner of weird stuff for sale back in the 80's . I expect it's long gone now.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Michael, and yes I remember looking in the window of Lawrence Corner, before going for a curry. It was where Spandau Ballet formed, apparently!

      Delete
  2. What a GREAT story and what a dedicated collage artist!!! I adored Princess Diana. Very nice tribute, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, yes, I really liked her too, it was quite an emotional experience looking through two Diana-souvenir mags, for images to use, both of them published when she was still alive, and made all the more sadder by hindsight of course.

      Delete