Monday 3 September 2018

Vivienne Studdy Never Quite Got Over Her Portrayal Alongside Bonzo the Dog


That's Bonzo the Dog, named so in 1922 and initially created as "The Studdy Dog" by G. E. Studdy in around 1918.  And that's Vivienne Studdy who, as an adult, never quite got over her portrayal alongside the popular comic canine.


According to a post entitled "COLLECTING BONZO" on World Collectors Net published November 9, 2010:

George and his wife Blanche had a daughter Vivienne who appeared in some of these sketches alongside Bonzo but she was not always happy with the end result especially when “Heads I win” was published. It wasn’t the fact that a little girl was crying against the wall with a headless doll in her hands and Bonzo grinning with a dolls head in his mouth that upset her but the fact that her knickers were showing and her socks were half way down her legs “I would never had looked that dishevelled!” she told her father.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent choice! I remember most of those comics as a young lad. Happy daze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Studdy was a friend of my parents,and I have a Bonzo drawing he did for my mother when she was a little girl. I suspect it was he who decorated her night nursery furniture for her, which I also still have. He was obviously a generous and talented friend to my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete