Thursday 24 January 2019

aleatory #2: zig-zag


From the archives. Another experiment in planned vs. unplanned. The planned part is that I pulled the clippings from which I cut the background clippings from only boxes of black, grey, white, and brown--although a little bit of blue popped in! The unplanned part is that I let chance determine the locations of the black painted lines: their positions are pairs of integers in sequence from a random number generator. (If you want to try out a similar technique, just google "random number generator," and you'll get multiple choices.)

Something else spontaneous happened, after I scanned this. When I sprayed it with sealant so it would be sturdy for mailing as a postcard, the spray made the big zig-zag of antique ledger paper translucent, so the writing on the opposite side showed through. The Universe wanted it to be more unplanned!

1 comment:

  1. Great, love the story of this collage's creation, and the extra bit of chance thrown in at the end, show-through is always great I think, accidental or not (although more often than not it does seem to be mostly unplanned! ).... and this makes me think of 'Zig Zag Wanderer' by Captain Beefheart, a soundtrack to this collage that goes perfectly.

    ReplyDelete