Friday 24 August 2018

GHOST of the BLACK CAT - early silent film era poster

Maybe this is more of a horror film, but I had fun making it and will attempt another film noir later this week. Cat images (including the one with the cross) are from a book about cats. I found two artworks -- "Mizzar" 1956-60 by Victor Vasarely (turned upside down so the diamond shape is on the bottom) and "Tarassa X" 1958 by Adia Yunkers. The two women are from an antique medical book I just acquired. The lady leaning backwards is demonstrating a back exercise and the other is giving herself a "dry" shampoo.

9 comments:

  1. A fine line between noirish thrillers and horror films - this seems to do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe a new genre - Horroir? :) Really like this, and the top half especially reminds me of some of the images on an old Siouxsie and the Banshees inner sleeve that had a big effect on me, collage-wise, when I was about 14. And which I still remember to this day, almost 40 years on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE the new genre suggestion! I do not know that inner sleeve you speak of...now I want to see it...will search online.

      Delete
    2. hmm.... I've just looked online, and found out that it wasn't on the inner sleeve, or the front sleeve either! So I'm sorry if you've started looking for it already, Angie, I'm going to have to investigate this further... I can't have imagined this, surely!???

      Delete
    3. I did a preliminary search but didn’t see what you might have remembered from way back in the day, although one cover in a black & white graphic style might have fascinated you and my piece jogged that memory?

      Delete
  3. ... I think it was the associated artwork that went with their single "Christine: - there was a competition in the teenybopper magazine, 'Smash Hits' where you had to match up b/w images with song titles from their album 'Kaleidoscope' to win a prize - some of the images are printed very small among the lyrics on the inner sleeve, but the most representative is the image of the woman from the cover of the Christine single.
    Phew! Sorry to lead on such a wild goose chase through my miasmic memory! :)

    ReplyDelete