Wednesday 12 December 2018

This Week's Theme: Listening to Strange Music...

I borrowed the excellent 'This Is Memorial Device' from the library on Saturday - a fictional (?!) account of an '80s Scottish band and the scene that revolved around them…

Reading it, it's reminding me of a painting that I saw once, years ago, which was called something like 'Listening to Strange Music', I've tried several times to Google it, but all to no avail, so instead, I thought it should be the theme for this week's collage...

Listening to strange music can be annoying/beautiful/boring/disorientating/sad/happy etc, but what does the experience look like, in collage form? Over to you, Kollage Kitters!

6 comments:

  1. Of course I have tried GOOGLING versions of "painting entitled listening to odd curious bizarre music" and nothing has come up! LOL

    Good theme...I happened to read this week's theme on my iPhone as I was browsing a second-hand shop and I found a piece of vintage sheet music that has an image on it that will be the central figure in my collage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've tried searching for lots of variations on the title, it may even be a translation of the title, from Dutch, as I saw the painting in Amsterdam, nearly 40 years ago!
      And that's great you had a serendipitous moment as you read this week's theme!

      Delete
    2. OMIGOSH FOUND IT! :)

      Except now the title translated from Italian, is "Silly Music"! Definitely wasn't called that when I saw it, or maybe it was... I rememebered the painting as being black and white, which of course it isn't...

      https://www.stedelijk.nl/en/collection/4979-enzo-cucchi-musica-tonta

      Delete
    3. I just looked at the painting...very strange (and memorable) indeed.

      Delete
  2. Excellent theme Ron. As you know I've been listening to strange music for most of my life and even had a blog dedicated to odd and unusual records I have found over the years at boot sales and charity shops - http://bootsalesounds.blogspot.com/ Looking forward to finding collages that fit the theme in my archive as I don't seem to have much time at the moment to make anything new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, glad you like the theme, which is mine not Ron's, but he did come up with a cracker of a collage so fast and so fitting that I myself wondered whether it was his theme after all - my head's quite scrambled from finishing the Memorial Device book last night, so anything is possible right now! :)

      And thanks for the heads-up about your blog, looks excellent, just listened to a track from that Chappell Vocal LP you wrote about, and may well have to buy it!

      Delete